Saturday, June 2, 2007

Killing Fields


Choeung Ek Genocial Center is a place where the most barbarious and cruel crimes committed by the Khmer Rouge took place. Today after we visited S-21 we traveled just outside of Phnom Phen to the Killing Fields. Here, about 20,000 people were executed and murdered. At this site there were 129 mass graves, about 8,000 human skulls, and scraps of clothing were still scattered throughout these fields.

As I walked past these grave sites, it was hard for me to take in that this happened during my lifetime...it seemed so far in the past. Many of the graves were marked with signs that told of the atrocities that happened to the people before and after they were murdered. I am stuck by how massive and destructive this time really was.

I wanted to also thank you all for coming alongside of me. I read each and every one of your posts...and I feel your prayers deeply! I really enjoy posting here, because I feel that it is an opportunity to take you all along with me and to share what I am learning. Our team has been doing well and I have been feeling the best I have in the last four years...which is really a miracle! Please continue to pray and share your thoughts. I am thankful for you all.

No comments: