Friday, June 1, 2007

Unit One


For the past two days we have been working with the children at a church in an area named "Unit One". From what I understand this is how the communities are divided up... by "units" and numbers. I guess that it has something to do with the military history of this country.

We would arrive around 9:00 in the morning to the church each day. For the first part of the day we would do activities with the kids. Myself and a team member named Matt would teach some English lessons (mostly numbers, some nouns and then some basic conversational English. Bryce and David were teaching some of the kids (mostly boys) soccer games and baseball, and then Christina and David were making crafts. Each child was able to make a salvation bracelet. These are bracelets with different colors; each representing a different part of the gospel story. We would do these stations at the same time and then rotate the kids through. In the afternoons, we would play games...we taught them the hokey-pokey, duck-duck-goose and a few others. Then they would teach us some of their games. It was so wonderful to see them laugh and enjoy themselves.

I was able to learn some Khmer from three older students...Viachai, Chaumou, and Siemroy. They spoke some English so they were able to communicate more. I shared some photos of my family and home. They loved hearing about my life and then were eager to share more about their own lives.

We spent two full days at this community...and I'm amazed at how present the Lord was at this place. The people are so warm and inviting. They wanted to share life with us...teach us about their games, their stories and their lives. I was struck by how each child was eager to put someone else first and to make sure that they shared with each other. Their laughter and smiles were beautiful. And after only two days...their were tears as we left. As I think about this community, I think of a phrase that Duncan the Missions pastor at our church said..."belonging always precedes belief." Unit One is a community of belonging and that is why so many can believe. We thought we were bringing God's Kingdom to this community, but they were bringing it to us.

1 comment:

Joannie DeBrito said...

Dear Tammy, Thanks for your updates on your mission work in Cambodia. When I read about the ministry in Phnom Pehn, I started to cry because I have very vivid memories of news reports coming from this city during the Vietnam War. I remember that, as a young teenager, I was always very disturbed to see what was happening in this part of the world. (Gee, is that delayed stress due to vicarous trauma???)
Anyway, my prayers are with you. May you and your team be blessed and be a blessing to the people you serve!
Love, Joannie