Saturday, June 9, 2007

Unit 51


As we travel across Cambodia I am amazed to see the "mini" cultures inside of this country. Each military camp that we travel to is very different. When we visited Unit One last week, I found the kids and parents there so ready to play and enjoy life. They were warm and inviting. They taught us many games and shared the stories of their lives. We laughed and played hard. In a word they taught us the meaning of "Belonging."

Unit 51 was different. We had a tougher time establishing relationships during the first day. I found that it took more effort to break into their lives. We had to gain their trust. Here we had the opportunity to spend more time with the military officers and their families as well as the kids. The parents and military officers were very curious about us...our stories, our life in the states, and about God. They asked really great questions and it was amazing to see that they were asking the "right" questions.

I had the privilege of sharing my story with this group. This was an opportunity to share with them that just because I live in America and just because I believe in God, does not make life perfect. I shared about my struggle with Multiple Sclerosis and my loneliness in not being married. This message rang true..."we are made for another world". I felt that many of them were surprised to hear that we have poverty, rapists, murders, and thieves in America, but by the end of our time there, we had built the relationships and trust we had hoped for. I felt that we had to fight harder at this place, but the reward was stunning. Unit 51 has taught us more about the gift of "Curiosity."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was greatful to be able to follow you on this mission, I printed all you info. for my wom womens group so they could see what our small donation helped you all do. PRAISE GOD FOR THOSE WHO CAN GO & TEACH ABOUT HIM.