Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Transitions and Buddhism 101


We have arrived safely in Chiang Mai, Thailand and I'm having a difficult time believing that this is the last leg of our trip. Yesterday we traveled across the border from Cambodia to Thailand and then took a van 3 hours to Bangkok where we boarded a plane to Chiang Mai. This was about a one hour flight. Now we are staying with our main leader, Paul Bradley, and his family at their home. This time is set aside for rest and debriefing. There home here is beautiful and thankfully Chiang Mai is a little less humid that Cambodia and Bangkok. Chiang Mai is mountainous and full of jungle. I love it.

Yesterday was my hardest day so far. I guess that I'm experiencing culture shock times two. First as soon as we crossed the border everything was nicer. The roads were paved and things were developed...such a difference from the extreme poverty in Cambodia. Then Thailand has such a different culture. I feel that I do everything wrong and everywhere we go someone on our team is reprimanded. Then I've fallen about 3 times and have been labeled as unlucky by my team since I fail to see the "step up" into most of the buildings and rooms. It's a running joke now that I've done a face plant in the immigration office. :) So my first day in Thailand was not the best impression.

Today has been much better. I feel that I'm adjusting and being in a nice home helps a little too! This morning we traveled to a very well know temple in Thailand with a guide who took us through "Buddhism 101". As we walked around the temple he explained all the practices that the people were doing. He also shared the history of Buddhism and the basis for their beliefs. During this process I was completely overwhelmed to the point of tears as he explained that all Buddhists believe that they must completely kill their desires and that desires are the basis for all suffering...so the goal is to completely get rid of them. I was saddened to wonder about a culture that is not able to ask questions, or to suffer, or to desire deeply. I thought of my family, my friends, and the students that I work with and was so thankful that we are able to see suffering and pain as a sort of gift though it is hard many times and that I can love deeply and care for people.

It's very hard to see the people of Thailand and Buddhism so close to the truth, yet so deceived. Our guide pointed out so many similarities between the two religions down to some of the details. They have this deep capacity for worship and I believe God has given them some signs of the truth...but the deception is so great and the entire basis of Buddhism is based upon an ugly lie. The work of missions and evangelism here is very long term. I'm am thankful for folks like our guide and Paul Bradley and his family.

Each day has been such a huge learning experience. Thank you all for your love and support. Each day I am blessed by the posts and messages that you leave me. I wouldn't want to do this without you. Blessings to you all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
Reading your posts makes me feel like I am right there with you. I am so excited to see how God is working and how He is using you and your team. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us ;o)

Alie

Anonymous said...

Hi friend,

What fun I'm having reading about your adventures! What a good writer you are. Truly you should write a book or at least a screenplay soon! I can only imagine what you're seeing and feeling. Take it all in as best you can so you can share it with the rest of us! Look forward to having you back home soon.
Melanie

Joannie DeBrito said...

Hey Tammy- I wouldn't want to do this without you either! Thank-you for giving us a glimpse into these cultures and for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us.
Tammy, please tread carefully. I don't want to see you having to navigate the C.C.U. sidewalks in a cast!
God bless- my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Joannie

Anonymous said...

Tammy, Isn't email great? I am so thankful you have been able to keep us informed and it is nice to keep track of you. I'm glad we didn't have to wonder how it was going. I pray you have a safe trip back and be healthy. We will look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing more when you get back. Norma

Sue said...

Hi Tammy,
Lenita Q. gave me your blog last night. It is so good to hear about your trip and the way the Lord is using you and the team. Jer sure enjoyed seeing you awhile back. May this seen you returned home safe and ready to share the Lord in Colorado. Blessings,
Nancy Malone

Anonymous said...

Hey Tammy,

I'm so glad you were able to take the time to go on this trip! Reading your journal has made me miss mission trips. I hope the last part of your journey has been restful.

Ashley